The Breed Street Shul Project (BSSP) is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization dedicated to restoring and adaptively reusing the Breed Street Shul, a landmark former synagogue located in Boyle Heights, just east of downtown Los Angeles. BSSP’s mission is to bring together Jewish, Latino, Japanese-American and other communities of Los Angeles by rehabilitating the landmark Breed Street Shul in Boyle Heights, transforming it into a center of arts, culture, education and service for its current neighbors — and making it a place of learning, teaching and wonder for all.
The Breed Street Shul is a City of Los Angeles Historic-Cultural Monument, is listed in the National Register of Historic Places, and is one of the few physical reminders that bears witness to L.A.’s rich, colorful Jewish — and multicultural — heritage. BSSP’s vision is to capitalize on the Shul’s visually stunning ”power of place” and transform it into a “big tent” that will:
- house nonprofit organizations that will offer a vibrant mix of educational, social service and cultural programs and services that will address a myriad of contemporary needs in the Boyle Heights neighborhood;
- build a tangible, organic bridge between L.A.’s Jewish, Latino, Japanese-American and other communities;
- create an inspirational gateway into Jewish life and opportunities for tikkun olam, volunteer activism, for younger and unaffiliated Jews in the heart of the city; and
- preserve and interpret an irreplaceable architectural treasure and touchstone of California Jewish and multicultural history for future generations.
BSSP is searching for a full-time Executive Director. Working closely with the BSSP Board of Directors, the Executive Director will have overall professional and managerial responsibility for the operational activities needed to execute and sustain BSSP’s unique mission and to oversee fundraising activities in order to sustain and expand the organization.
Specific Responsibilities Include:
- Managing operations of the organization including site, budget, hiring, programming, and communications
- Managing Board relations
- Fundraising (including launch of large-scale capital campaign and organizing fundraising events)
- Oversight of renovation, leasing and construction activities
- Serving as a representative of BSSP to the local Boyle Heights community and larger Los Angeles community.
The self-starting candidate must have had previous experience leading a non-profit or for-profit entity and/or running a successful large-scale fundraising initiative or capital campaign.
The ideal candidate is bilingual (English/Spanish), has strong interpersonal skills, communicates effectively, approaches problem solving with an innovative and tenacious mindset, and wholeheartedly believes in the mission of BSSP.
Commensurate with experience.
To be considered, please send a letter of interest, resume with recent salary history, and a list of three professional references to firstname.lastname@example.org. The position is for immediate placement; we will be accepting applications through October, 19, 2015. Please, no phone inquiries or faxes.